how to grow tomatoes
Tomatoes are fruits ( vegetables ) of multiple uses, which are used in every home. these tomatoes are heat lovers . They are known for their health benefits and nutritional value – farm fresh , vine ripened tomatoes are much special than the one we buy . Therefore, all health conscious people who want to benefit from the fruit, can be start to grow tomatoes in their yard or kitchen garden. This will ensure a plentiful tomatoes supply, which will be free from all adulteration. So, we can discover the path to great health, to put some effort and follow the recommendations for the cultivation of juicy and delicious tomato. check the following steps for healthy tomato harvest . check growing tomatoes section for more from our visitors .
Name: how to grow tomatoes tomato plants 631.jpg – vegetable garden
how to grow tomatoes :
- Healthy Tomato plants, which can be purchased at any nursery for planting. Before planting, make sure the frost is over. Otherwise, start seeding some six to eight weeks before the last expected frost.
- To plant, choose a site that receives full sun and has soil with a pH between 6.0 and 7.0. as tomatoes need plenty of heat to develop a better taste. Therefore, it should be protected under shelter from the cold breeze.
- Treat the soil with a compost heap , coz Tomatoes need a soil rich with organic matter.
- Acclimate plants -we can move tomato plants into the garden at night, when the temperature exceeds 10 degrees C.
- For each plant Dig a hole more less to the size to hold that plant . Add a shovelful of compost and a handful of crushed egg shells ( which provides calcium for each plant).
- check whether all plants are 12 to 18 inches apart, depending on the variety. Set the plants deep into the holes to promote the development of new roots.
- To keep cutworms away , Secure each plant with a paper collar . On the other hand, cover with floating row covers to save them from insects and cool temperatures.
- we can Remove covers When the weather gets warm , mulch the soil and install supports, that helps the plants to grow.
- These plants must get one to two inches of water each week. For an abundant harvest, spray them with compost tea or seaweed extract on four occasions, ie two weeks after the transplant, just after the first flowers appear when the fruit reaches the size of golf balls, and Finally, when the flowers first ripe tomato.
- we can Pick the tomatoes once its glossy in color and reaches its texture with soft and firm nature.
Name: Growing Tomatoes with leaves tomatoes.jpg – also have look at how to grow heirloom tomatoes
Different types of Tomato plants :
- Cherry tomato – Known as small round tomato added to garden salad, cherry tomato plant produces a “cherry-size fruit (may be a little larger than a cherry). These types of tomatoes range in size from the dwarf tomato plant to tomato plants more than seven feet. Typical cherry tomato plants produce abundant , so a plant per family is better enough.
- Beefsteak Tomato
- Determinate Tomato
- Dwarf Tomato
- Indeterminate Tomato
- Paste Tomato
- San Marzano – Best for for making pasta sauce
Tomato plants disease : common disease with tomatoes are tobacco mosaic virus ( their is s debate on using tobacco or cigars near tomatoes ,whether they affect them or not) . curly crop coz of the beet leafhopper .
Pest which affect tomato plants : Red spider mite ,stink bugs, cutworms ,tomato fruitworms, tomato , cabbage loopers, whiteflies, aphids, flea beetles, and Colorado potato beetles.
how to save tomato seeds : we can save the seeds from the delicious tomatoes - heaviest looking plants . due to time pressure i cant provide you the summary for seed saving procedure – you can check out here http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seedsave/2002084456024410.html
Tags: cherry tomato, growing tomatoes, how to grow tomatoes, organic tomato, tomato, tomato diseases, tomato plants, tomato seed, vegetable garden, vegetables
link : how to grow tomatoes
Home Page » vegetable garden